01 August 2009

Creative Space



"We can all decide what kind of environment to create in our home. We can organize space and collect things that are meaningful and conducive to the use of creative energies" (Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi)

Which creative exercise # is this? Well, this one is focusing on creative space. Mostly because I need ideas - ha! Now that I've started to become interested in sewing, but can't quite give up scrapbooking until I finish #3's first year book, I'm finding the challenge of carving out a space to put everything...especially in a somewhat organized, non-eyesore way. I love to look through all the Pottery Barn magazines for ideas, but let's be honest - who has that much space (and I have to remind myself that no one actually lives there, which is especially obvious in the Pottery Barn Kids catalog, with all the little kids coloring in the lines in their gigantic clean and organized playroom - yeah, right!) With #3 on the way, we are a little tight on space. We just crammed a toddler bed into the nursery, so finding even a small corner of the house for creative space will be a challenge.

So let's work on our creative spaces. Simple Scrapbooks, where I got this idea, says to "take charge of your creative space. No matter how big or small it is, fill it with colors and objects that inspire you..." If you have a creative space, take a photo and share it. If you're in a position where you don't know where to begin, post ideas of other people's spaces that inspire you.

I'll list some inspirational spaces that I've come across so far...

Mimi Green - I think I've already mentioned this is where I get the wrist strap for my keys (which have saved me losing my keys I don't know how many times) since I don't have dogs (but she makes divine dog collars, and I'm still hoping for a camera strap!) ;) Scroll down this post (past the photos that will make you envious of her horseback riding on the beach) to see her studio - love it!

I met Rachel Clare at a photography conference in Phoenix, and she was recently featured on the blog Savvy Photographer, which has lots of fun ideas for decorating, especially with photos. I like the clean, crisp lines of Rachel's workspace, and how she surrounds herself with photos of her family.

Ruth is a jack of all trades - sewing, decorating, cooking...and I love that she redecorated her room to include some creative respite (no easy feat with four boys!)

Here's a "small spaces" idea from Pottery Barn - and doesn't it seem like this desk would be easy to make (I'm putting the idea out there to people who can actually cut and assemble wood, which I cannot)? I'm also thinking about this little desk from West Elm, where you can slide additional work space out. And I really want one of these from Ikea - if anyone lives near one and happens to be driving through New Mexico, would you pick one up for me?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellen -- what a timely post. I just bartered to have my neighbor a interior designer help me create the space I need. The one that will allow me to be creative but not have the entire space be so cluttered (OK I need to fix that issue by weeding through things..). However, I guess my point is I recognized this and wanted to make my space for me.

Chelsey said...

Just some more thoughts & another spot that inspires me :) http://tr.im/yourspace