23 July 2009

Stitch



Have I mentioned that I'm a little domestically-challenged? I'm not a clean-freak, I don't spend hours pouring over complicated cook books, and I can't sew on a button. It's rather sad, really. I don't know why, but lately I've just been feeling the urge to break through all of it and become more domestic! It could be because I'm pregnant, but this is my third, not my first. Or maybe because I don't come from a long line of domestic divas. I have a brand-new, practically-antique sewing machine. I'm not kidding. My grandmother (who didn't sew) passed it down to my mother (who didn't sew) who passed it down to me. And I determined (again, with baby #3, not sure why I got the urge now) not to pass it down to my daughter without being used.

So I enrolled in a class to learn how to turn the thing on. Of course, I didn't realize you needed a power cord to go with it (did you think I was kidding when I told you I didn't know how to sew?!?). Fortunately, our instructor at Hip Stitch wasn't daunted by my lack of experience. Have you been there? I highly recommend it. Such gorgeous fabrics, such amazing customer service. I couldn't make the basic class, so the instructor created a class around my schedule! Seriously, who does that?!? I expected to make a dish rag in my first class or something, but no - we made a reversible tote bag with a pocket. I know!! It's adorable, right? (if I do say so myself).



So now I have the sewing bug (verdict is still out on the knitting bug - I'll let you know if I'm ever able to knit anything that doesn't look like a middle school home ec project...no offense, middle school home ec-ers! ;) I've already enrolled in the lounge pant class, and I can see the beginnings of an addiction forming...

If you haven't made it to Hip Stitch (I'm probably the last one to know about it), stop by. If nothing else, just to meet the sweet owners and drool over the adorable children's clothing patterns and fabrics. Now, off to get my brand-new, practically-antique machine serviced...

4 comments:

Maria Hays said...

oh how I miss Hip Stitch, such a cute shop and super nice ladies!!

sherri said...

I love it!! And I for one...didn't know about this place. It looks like they have Amy Butler fabrics? I might be thinking of the wrong designer...but what I'm trying to say is that they have those pretty fabrics that your regular Joann's doesn't have. And I didn't know Albuquerque had anything like that! You are so awesome for trying something new! I want to see your sewing machine. Mine's sorta vintage too, and though I could probably love a nicer/newer one, I don't think I would ever part with this one. ;)

Chelsey said...

ohmygosh, I want one! and a pair of lounge pants! seriously. :) nice work mama! it's the energy of #3 in that oven for sure :)

Daniela said...

Okay, so I've seen the bag and I think I might be hooked. I've been wanting to make one of those!