29 April 2009

Interview with Kim Jackson



Most of you already know (ad nauseam, perhaps?) that I began my photography career by seeking out Kim Jackson (the artist formerly known as Kim Donald) as a mentor. Her style and talent were evident to me as a client, and I "clicked" with her from the beginning. Her own photography career is an inspiring one as well, so I asked her to share a little with my blog readers...

EB: Tell us about your journey as a photographer? How did you get started? How have you found your "style" and how has that style evolved over the years?

KJ: Well, I was 18 and working at a credit-processing company ('cuz I'm a fast typer) and my department was shut down nation-wide.
Remember when you could grab a credit card application in the department store? Well, those days were coming to a swift end at the time. Therefore, I received my first severance pay and I took a long sabbatical studying art in San Miguel d'Allende; I felt this was the time to figure out what I "wanted to be when I grew up." When I returned to the States, there was a Kim Jew Studio down the street from my old job, so I popped in one day and filled out an appication. Simple as that. I worked in sales for 10 months. This started my career in the portrait industry. I was 19, and competing with several other applicants, when I applied and got the job for a newly available photography position.

Raymond was my first mentor - showing me lighting and composition wherever we went (along with studio studies, some of which were even done while waiting in line at Target, flipping through magazines...fun times!). The best time I had at Kim Jew (besides meeting and working with my future husband) was sharing a studio with Lisa Marchese - I know I have inherited half of my photographic "style" from her, though I still envy her artistic perfection. She also influenced my professional side: maintaining lovely painted nails, cute (but comfortable shoes), and a clean working environment.

Five years passed, then another sabbatical. Kyle Zimmerman taught me how to take amazing photographs, even in a dark bathroom. (These are very close to the words she first spoke to me). I owe Kyle so much that has yet to be repaid...I keep hoping for someday...I worked with her for almost 5 years. I have been told that my style reflects the influences of both Kyle and Lisa, and if that is so, I am flattered.


EB: You were recently on the other end of wedding photography. How did having this perspective of a bride change or grow your policies/ideas as a wedding photographer?

KJ: First of all, I can't imagine planning a wedding for an elongated period of time. It consumed my life and
I even eloped. I have so much regard for my brides and what they go through to achieve this beautiful day. I have to say that I was not a very communicative bride - I ran from Ellen, who made me do "getting ready shots" (usually one of my favorite parts of a wedding when I'm behind the lens) and I forgot to tell her the ceremony would be like, 3 minutes long :) She did a fantastic job, we LOVE our wedding photos and can't wait to do an album. Since I practically grabbed the film card out of her camera, I realize how excited people are to see the pictures as well as the importance of owning the copyright to them. This has changed the way I offer wedding packages to my couples.

EB: What are you most excited about in your photography right now?

KJ: Playing with color and movement. I've been in the black and white mood for years, this feels very fresh and endlessly fun. Thanks to Eye Candy actions!

EB: What's your advice to beginning photographers?

KJ: Shoot every day... or at least a lot. Use your "mistakes" to grow as an artist- try to find a mentor to teach you what they know.

Kim's new website can be found at www.kimjacksonphotography.com (she's also hanging on to her kimdonaldphotography.com domain name, so it will redirect you), and her blog-ku is such a fun read! Kim's photography covers just about everything: babies, children, families, commercial, weddings (she travels nationally and internationally for weddings), graduates...you name it!

No comments: