03 January 2012

Happy New Year!



I love the fresh start a new year provides...as much as I love putting up our Christmas tree, I feel a sigh of relief when I take it down and our living room looks less crowded.  Simpler.  I love the promise of fresh starts, ambitious goals (we get so down on new year's resolutions, but what's so bad about aiming high?) and refocusing.

The start of a new year encourages me to take on a new photo project...I did a 365 project a couple of years ago, and I'm glad I did, especially since it was my last baby's first year.  It was good to get the camera out and get something every day, and it helped me to worry less about perfect photos and more about documenting our lives.  I printed a blurb book and the kids love to look at it.  I lost some steam at the end, though - I think my last three months were all iphone pictures. ;)  If I ever did another 365 project, it might have to be something like this instagram 366Photojojo has some great ideas for photo projects for the new year too, in case you're looking for ideas. ;)

Last year I did a Project Life album - not 365, just a family scrapbook.  I managed to keep pretty up-to-date surprisingly...I'm just finishing up December and then I'll start this year's.  Next year I may transition to a digital album using her template on shutterfly.  It's been a perfect "scrapbook" for me because it's mostly photosleeves, with journaling pages and papers so you don't have to mess with layouts and stickers (you can, and some get really creative with it, but I like the simplicity of printing out 4x6's, writing on a small card and being done).

While I was doing my 365 project, I was also inspired by Tara Whitney's project of doing a family photo each month.  It was great practice to find ways to include myself in photos!  Stephanie is doing a personal project, taking photos of her own kids once a week, and is starting with a photo each day in January.  A photo a day for a month seems realistic - I did this last year on facebook, but it might be nice to not have an "assignment" and just take photos of whatever I want.  There are several 52 week projects out there, where you take a photo each week, usually assigned, but I'm not ready to commit to having to having to shoot, edit, and upload a photo each week based on an assignment...lazy, I know! ;)

So I think I've finally settled on mcp action's Project 12 - I can do a photo a month, right? ;)  This month's theme is "resolution," which is perfect for January.  I'll be back with my post for this theme!

What photo projects are you aiming for this year?

3 comments:

Robin @ Photography Backgrounds said...

A good idea to start the year with your photography works. More Power! Happy New Year!

Chelsey said...

I LOVE taking down the tree too! I felt like I could breathe again. It did feel simpler, I like that.

And I read that as 'ambiguous goals' ohdear. LOL I am tired.

Can't wait to share in this project world with you!

Shannon said...

What a great project. I know I sort of bit off a big bite when I committed to a 365 this year and that one of those each week needs to be of both kids, but I am hopeful I can keep at it!