10 June 2010

season



"To everything there is a season..." (Eccl 3). I feel like I should start humming the Byrds song...

So most of you are aware that I've been on maternity leave for the last 6 months. I'm still shooting weddings with Kim (in fact, we have three this weekend!) and when I looked at my calendar to see when I should start scheduling portraits, I realized we're booked with weddings until October! Eighteen weddings booked this summer, and already booking for next June. Wow. So when was I going to schedule those portraits? With three kids at home under the age of five (read: no kids in school!), trying to do photo shoots during the week and then have any sort of decent turnaround time to edit, upload galleries, and order prints (sessions are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg) isn't realistic at this point in my life. Especially if I want to get to sleep before midnight ever. Or exercise. Or have tea with my husband in the evening and catch up on our day...you get the picture - have a life. ;)

So it's become apparent to me that this isn't the season of my life to keep the portrait part of my business going. Instead, I'm going to focus on shooting weddings with Kim and being a mom. Maybe in five years when the baby is in school (insert sobbing sounds), I would be able to give my portrait business the attention it deserves, but right now something has to give.

I'm hoping to keep up my blog in some form (maybe I'll be inspired by a new name that encompasses all my creative ventures and the address will move - any ideas?), so I hope you'll check in from time to time. Thank you for your encouragement, support, and faithfulness over the last four years I've been in business.

Blessings,


4 comments:

amy g said...

man, i TOTALLY get that. i do. it must feel awesome to focus on one thing! i feel that way ALOT. still on maternity leave, and wondering if i'll ever NOT be!! i applaud you for being decisive! i just am not!

Ellen said...

Walt had some say in the decision too - "um, really, Ellen, we aren't going to have you for any weekends until Halloween?!?" ;)

Anonymous said...

I so understand your decision. I applauded you for making your family first. Truth is IF I could find someone to shoot with as a second I might do the same.

Chelsey said...

It takes courage to follow the path we want & need ... I think that's great that you're putting it all into perspective. :)