01 October 2009

Supporting Local Businesses





I have to admit, I struggle with local businesses vs. chain stores. I frequent Target. A lot. Carts that can contain my kids, pick up a latte and banana bread at another chain when you walk in the door (Starbucks) and you're set for a good half-hour shopping experience.

I see the value of shopping locally more and more, however, especially being a small business owner myself. I've always loved independent bookstores, and have been sad to see so many of them close down in Albuquerque over the years. I'm convinced I would have given up sewing and knitting the first week if I had been left to the mercy of chain stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I have a few children's boutiques that I adore, but confess that this is usually where I rely on the chains due to cost (and grocery shopping - are there any local grocery stores here?).

Tomorrow's "five for Friday" post is going to list my five favorite local stops...who else wants to post their favorite locally-owned places, and then visit one tomorrow to support our local economy (maybe our goal can be to visit three in the next week or even this month) - where will yours be?

Oh, and you can click on the image to take you to the 3/50 project website - sign up and grab a link for your blog to show your support!

3 comments:

Hip Stitch said...

Hip Stitch is on board! Thanks for the info. about this project!

Chelsey said...

I love it! I'm on board too ... will get a post going about this soon ... tbc! :)

bethany dawn burns said...

Thanks for posting this!!! I really want to make it a point to support our local businesses.